Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Abuja Shawarma Review

So far, since I moved to Abuja I have had a decent amount of Shawarma.  This review is not a full list yet, but I will add to it later.  I of course, decided to do this because of the person from the Abuja Expats yahoogroup who did it last year.  So it led me to doing one in Yola.  Which I had fun doing.  But when I began looking for Shawarma in Abuja I decided to begin with that blessed list that started it all.

In Abuja, Shawarma is very different than Yola.  Also, it’s much larger and more expensive than in Yola.  Also, there’s a lot of variety in the types of Shawarma here in Abuja.  Sometimes they make it super spicy, other times no spice at all, some put pickles in it, some put hot dogs in it, some put cabbage, other don’t, some put barbecue sauce in it, etc... 

So here’s my review. 

Amigos
Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent

I had the chicken Shawarma.  It had pickles in it.  I normally love pickles but the ones I often taste in Nigeria are way too vinegary and are not nice for my palate.  There was no spice.  I will never eat their Shawarma again.  I felt bad that I brought it to my work Christmas party because everyone is Nigerian except me and I fed them the most bland Shawarma possible.  L 
They have pizzas and a lot of other sandwich options as well.  But this review is about Shawarma, Chicken Shawarma in particular. 

(I haven’t had their Shawarma since Christmas time.  I don’t remember the prices or anything). 

Supermarket
(This supermarket in Asokoro by the Catholic Church)

I can’t remember the name at the moment, will update it later when I find it out
I had there chicken Shawarma like three times.  It’s very spicy, very large, loads of chicken, it also has bbq sauce in it.  It’s very yummy.  You can sit and have a drink under the stars, have ice cream and buy fruits and veggies and vcd’s all right there.  Plus, they have a barber shop.  It’s a nice place.  But I don’t live in the neighbourhood, so it’s not ideal for me.  But if you live in Asokoro, I think it’s your best bet in the area.  Yum! 

Shawarma King
Inside The Mall on Gana Street in Maitama

My favourite Shawarma by far.

We have had their Shawarma twice.  Both times I ordered the small chicken Shawarma with cheese.  Mmmmm Mmmm Mmmm.  I love it.  I think it’s 600 or 700 Naira.  It’s very filling, very tasty, and always HOT, so I recommend you let it cool before eating.  It’s great because it’s down the street from choir practice and so I can have dinner there beforehand.  I love the cheese that they put inside.  It’s really a great combination.  They have all sorts of options here as well.  The first time they added a hot dog into mine. Asides from the fact that it is VERY MESSY, we think it's the best shawarma Abuja has to offer. 

2 comments:

  1. best delicacy.Thanks for the post. It's like five years of not being in Nigeria has finally made me out-dated for this to be news to me. The change is amazing. Great blog!



    --
    call Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one but still check on Kryxtal Lounge shawarma wuse 2 Abuja Nigeria no 70 aminu kano crescent

    ReplyDelete