Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Engagements

So most of you know I've been doing some writing.  I'm working on a book.  It's about Love.  Yes, the big L-word.  And no, I'm not talking about the tv show either.  L-O-V-E.

So I'm writing my story about love, but I am talking about different issues in it as well.  So after reading something on Gluten Free Girl's blog I got to thinking about engagements.  She and the chef got engaged after just four months.  They've been giddily happily married ever since.  The reason I mention this is because I used to read her blog daily.  But then I stopped.  I stopped because of two reasons.  One, her baking skills got better than mine and she was just too damn happy all that time.  I was like, c'mon, do they ever fight, or are they always this deliriously in love and happy.  It made me sick.  Why?  Probably because I didn't have that love, or that kind-of love.  I was envious.  Have you ever thought about how love twists it's way into almost all seven of the deadly sins?  I have.  Twisted stuff, love is.  I've been doing lots of reflecting and thinking and it seems most of the happy couples I know, knew this early, they were often what some would seem as not-so-perfect fits, age gaps, from very different walks of life, very different personalities, but these short term engagements always seem to be the ones that last the longest and they often seem to show so much love when I'm in their presence.  That's the kind of love I want.  I've also noticed that height plays a factor.  I've noticed in most couples where the man is much taller, they usually seem happier as well.  I know of many couples like this.  I always wondered if there was something to this.  Nowadays, I wonder more if it might be true...  ;)

So what makes someone decide, now is that time, let's get engaged, take that next step?  When does one know they want to spend the rest of their life with someone?  And when you decide that, when is the right time to take the plunge?

So I want to know your thoughts.  How long should one date before they get 'engaged?'  How long do have the engagement period for?  What's your story?  How long did you wait before you got engaged?  I'm curious because I have this theory about happiness and am curious to see if it's true or not.  So please comment.  Tell me your thoughts on this subject.  I might be e-mailing some of you privately on this issue.  So this is your heads up...

Please comment!!!  :)

2 comments:

  1. haha, i'd like to know, too.

    i'm pretty sure i want to marry by boyfriend of 2+ years. we're testing how well we do long distance, since its basically a reality of my life that i travel (i grew up in 6 countries). he's been really great and supportive.

    we are definitely in the opposites category.
    i'm from washington dc, he's from baghdad
    i'm a diplomat's daughter, he's a general's son
    i'm super out going, he's a serious couch potato

    he's also the best roommate i've ever had and we work really well together, even on tedious jobs.

    so, the real question is, do i push him to ask me? do i ask him? do i leave it alone?

    :)
    alena

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice is too never push. It won't make you feel like, "oh, he's so romantic" afterwards knowing that he's doing it just to make you happy. You've seen or read "he's just not that into you" right? If not, read it or watch it. You don't want to be that couple where he asks her to marry him just because she wants to get married, even though he's not sure. You don't want to tell your kids and grandkids, yeah, we got married because I bothered the crap outta him till he asked. Right? If you are okay with your engagement story being that you asked, I say go for it. However, I did that and I am regretting it today.

    Thanks for your comment and I'm enjoying your stories and your blog. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete