Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cultural Juxtapositions







































































These photos are taken by me at the opening ceremony durbar.  A durbar is basically a parade of the ceremonious horses and their riders.  This was taken at the NPUGA games.  I love Durbars and these horses.  I love these pics because most of them are wearing jeans and sunglasses.  I love the cultural juxtaposition.  It's like me with my keens, my sunglasses, my skin, but wearing a traditional outfit or a traditional top with jeans.  It's who I am.  I like that they are representing themselves.  Just love it. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I love the message these pictures send. A mix of the modern and more traditional. We need more people to realize that they can keep their cultures and still be modern, some of my friends think they have to give up their culture to be accepted here in America. I'm glad to see that this is not a problem in Nigeria!

    BTW I mailed the letter yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very good pictures, a very nice post.

    ReplyDelete