Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

trip from hell

So, I failed to update the blog for a while. I know, I know, not unusual. Well, there are many, many reasons why. First, a power line on top of our flat in Yola came tumbling down (damn nepa) and hit the mast for the internet signal which burnt all the ethernet jacks and anything attached to them, most importantly the server I was using, worth many thousands of dollars. ughhh. Second, the Prof got denied his UK visa. Yep, I know, I know. Can't believe it either. So we came to the only place left, the states. At first, it started out to be a wonderful vacay. We started off in Cambridge, Mass staying at the lovely Sheraton Commander and now are in DC.

Anyway, back to Boston and Cambridge. The weather was hot, even after living in Yola. We both have fallen in love with Cambridge and are both wondering if we totally misjudged Boston last time we were there. Anyway, we are thinking of maybe spending next summer there. On Sunday we took the train down to DC for the Prof's Monday morning visa appointment for the Netherlands. Eight long hours later we arrived at good old Union Station and ran to the Chromy's to an even hotter DC/Silver Spring.

Anyway, I have been very sore lately, sore joints and bones, it's been happening for a while now, six months or so. So our long walk to the Netherlands Embassy was a long hot one for me. We got there to find out that since our vacay is more than three months out, he can't apply. So all the work for nothing, plus, we came to DC just for this. Ughhh.

From there we headed to lunch at an okay Thai place in Tenleytown called "Neisha." After that we hailed a cab and headed to AUN's DC office to pick up my new kindle among other goodies from Patagonia and visit with Jasmine. After a long good talk, we headed back to Silver Spring. Anyway, it's a few days later and lot has happened. We are staying at a pretty decent hotel in Dupont Circle, Carlyle Suites. But yesterday the atm ate my credit card that took me like 7 months to get, the one that we were going to have upped the limit since the Prof's hasn't shown up yet, and PNC destroyed it, which ultimately has destroyed our travel plans. No credit card, no car rental, hotel rental, etc. Now my prepaid card isn't working either. The good news is we are able to get in touch with our bank finally, first time all week, but it's sporadic. I tried changing our flight to earlier, but that isn't possible either, not even for a fee. I don't know if we just aren't supposed to travel to DC or if we aren't supposed to come to the states, or travel at all.

This whole summer has just devastated me.

No comments:

Post a Comment